Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cowabunga in Oaxaca

    Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca.  Literally translated it means "the hidden port", and hidden it is.  While being one of the world's top surf destinations, it remains a traditional fishing and market village to this day.  Legend has it that a woman, fleeing from the spaniards, used the cove and it's natural fortress of thorns to escape persecution.

   Me though, I'm just here to catch some waves.

    Heading towards the Pacific, I check into the first hostel I see and rent a private room for less than ten american dollars a night.  My place; Hostal Shalom.  One of the most awesome homes away from home I've ever been in.  The reception desk doubles as a full bar.  Hammocks in the lobby are free to lounge in for as long as you please, and reasonably priced chopper style bicycles and surf boards are available for rent.  Although there's no tv or hot water, it gets better in a big BIG way.   The next day I found out exactly how chill this hostel was as I spent the majority of my time smoking pot, night after night, in a hammock in the lobby.

    Dropping off my meager possesions, I head over to la Playa Carazilillo.  Big name, great waves.  While the most famous beach with the biggest waves is Zicatella, I needed to take baby steps.  Playa Carazilillo is a perfect spot for beginning ocean riders and pros alike.  Renting a board on the beach runs me 150 pesos for the entire day with plenty of waves to wrangle.

   And surf I did.  Gliding over wave after wave, I only come in for sea side tortas and cola.  With more surfers flocking to the water, my ride finally ends when my legs match the color of freshly cooked lobsters and a hot German chick nearly knocks me unconcious with her board.  She doesn't apologize, but i can't stay mad at a body like that.  Eventually I haul my water logged carcass back to the hostel and fall into a satisfied slumber, sure to be peeling for weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment