Wednesday, May 9, 2012

In the Land of Peeling Skin

     The chihuahua bus pulls in to the station and I exit, refusing to let anyone touch my baggage.  Not on a matter of security, but frugality.  No help, no tipping.  Ten minutes later I've assembled my bicycle.  A pump of air at the pemex station gets me ready to explore the new territory.

     Did I just say explore?  That's a euphemism for "I don't know where I am or where in the hell I'm going."  Translation: lost.  So at 4 am my navigation consists of, "Ok is that the sun?  I should probably go the other way to the ocean."  A sketchy idea at best, I work my way into the neighboring villas.  Having the internal compass of a brain dead monkey, the majority of my time is spent retracing my steps from every dead end.  However, there's a shine to the mornings of Mexico.  At 5 am school girls are out in their catholic uniforms.

    Now when I say say school girls, I mean bangin' latina teenagers.  With skirts as short as my attention span I can´t help but wonder if they're really headed to school or the casting call of Backdoor Latinas 5.  What´s the age of consent here anyway?

      Jailbait aside, the locals are already hard at work at tortillerias and catching the rickety chicken buses to their respective occupations.  Like a mouse in a maze finally reaching the queso, I stumble upon the pacific ocean.  Dragging my bike and 40 pounds of gear through sand, I remove my boots and take my first tentative steps into the Pacific ocean.  It's colder than expected, but I've been on a bus for 3 days and I´m tired of smelling like cat piss.  Pressing on, I take an Improvised salt water bath.  Slightly cleaner and drying off on the rocks I take a look at the scenery.  Tropical fish swim at my feet, neon crabs scuttle on the rocks, and sea urchins stick out like underwater pin cushions.  Suddenly a strange level of zen-like calmness washes over me and I can't help but think that this is paradise.

     But fuck I'm still lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment